Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Personal Favorites: 15 Albums

I originally posted this as a note on my facebook page, but I found it to be blog worthy, or rather I have been feeling too lazy to write new blogs so I am reposting this.

So here are 15 albums that in someway changed my life and/or made it more tolerable. These all span from about 1993 to 2006 (mostly known as the college years). I find it harder to become completely smitten with an album in the age of the iPod. There are a few, but that is another post entirely.

Gateway Albums = pot for your ears...

1. Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream: This album made me love music again. Popular music in the late 80s and early 90s had nearly destroyed music for me. When I heard this album, I had finally found a jumping off point. I am not saying it is the best album or that I would even haul it with me to a desert island...but.


2. Bottledog - Hot Dolphin Terror at Chirpgobble : THIS album completely changed music for me. I was in Ames in the early days of Bottledog, and when Laura Watral (of Coupleskate) sent me this album, it totally freaked me out. I thought it was really really weird and maybe not in a good way, and then it totally got under my skin and completely changed the way I listened to music.

The actual album cover is a painting by Andrew Kleindolph (Femur).

Saved My Soul From Breaking into a Million Pieces Albums = Prozac!

3. Bedhead - Beheaded : Perhaps I could have lived without this album, but I am fairly certain that I would not have wanted to.


4. Dirty Three - Horse Stories : Same deal. My cd player actually asked me to pick something else.


5. Rex - C : I had entire friendships based on a mutual love of this album.


6. The Palace Brothers - Days in the Wake : Vinyl. Probably trashed from repeated playings. It is still one of the first albums when spinning some vinyl


7. P.J. Harvey - Stories from the City Stories from the Sea : Grad school really sucked the first term. PJ helped me deal. This is not necessarily my favorite PJ album (Dry probably holds that title), but it was somehow more important.


8. Uncle Tupelo - Anodyne : Good grad school elixir.


9. Neko Case - Blacklisted : My children subconsciously know this entire album b/c I sang it all the time in the car whilst preg. Beatrice will sing "I Wish I was the Moon" from start to finish.


Albums that Made good art = crack?

10. Godheadsilo - Elephantitus of the Night : Try NOT to paint to this


11. Trans Am - It's a tie between Surveillance and Futureworld : Painting in the OMB!




12. Bill Ding - Trust in God but Tie Up Your Camels : I remember making a lot of paper to this
album.


13. 18th dye - Tribute to a Bus: General mayhem.


14. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Self titled : I recall doing a lot of sewing to this disc


15. The Arcade Fire - Funeral : many a website was created with this playing in my ears.

No comments: