Thursday, July 09, 2009

Around Our House: Freezing Blueberries


Freeze those BLUEBERRIES!

I just put 9 quarts of blueberries in the deep freeze. They were $1.49 a pint at our local Fareway. Whenever you see blueberries at $1.49 or less per pint BUY THEM (especially if you are prone to buying frozen berries for smoothies etc.)! They freeze beautifully! Just put them in a ziplock bag and freeze. Last winter I put up about 8 quarts and wished we had another 8 (for a family of four). We would use them in baking, for smoothies, or as a fruit side for our little ones.

Other berries such as raspberries and gooseberries freeze well too.

Another food I freeze when cheap is peppers. Just chop them and put them in a freezer bag, and you are ready to dump some in chili, or sprinkle a few on a quesadilla.

Later this summer, I will be freezing tomatoes, corn, green beans, squash, and zucchini. I'll let you know when that exciting time comes...

No comments: