Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Around Our House: How Our Garden Grows

Let the feast begin!

I just picked the first of our summer veggies. I've gotten a few random tomatoes, peppers, and squash over the last few weeks, but today was the first time I picked enough for a meal!

We've got wilt on the cucumbers and tomatoes again, and we are afraid we will have to deal with it for the next few years. We're monitoring which varieties do the best against it and plan to plant those next year. We have all but completely lost the Poona Kheera cucumbers, but the delikatesse are doing great (so far). I saw a few baby melons and squash today. I just hope they get enough summer to grow fruits.

It's been so cool, we are still picking lettuce, which is good since I forgot to plant chard or collards for summer salads...



Here is the garden a few weeks ago. The pole beans are JUST starting to flower.





The cucumber machine before the Poona Kheeras died.




The greens. And reds. We planted several types of lettuce, red orach, chard, and basil.



The big crop... Guess I don't need to wash the canning jars QUITE yet.

No comments: